Marion G. Vedder Elementary School
History of MGV
Marion G. Vedder Elementary School was originally named the North Babylon School which opened in 1932. At that time, there were 4 teachers and the students ranged from 5 years old to 14 years old. The original principal was Mr. Hartley and then followed Mr. Northrop. In 1959, the school was renamed the Deer Park Avenue Elementary School and the grades included Kindergarten to the 6th Grade. In 1991, the school was renamed Marion G. Vedder Elementary School.
Marion Vedder had been a teacher from 1937 to 1954 and the acting principal during WWII (1943-1945). She became the principal of the elementary school annexes in 1954 and after a fire destroyed the annex, the elementary students were moved back to the original building. She became principal of the then renamed Deer Park Avenue Elementary School. Mrs. Vedder remained as this school's principal until she retired in 1991. Mrs. Joyce Brott was then named the principal until Mr. Peter Steck took over in 1993.
Mr. Steck had been a teacher at Deer Park Avenue Elementary School from 1968 - 1989, primarily in the 6th grade. When the 6th grade moved to Robert Moses Middle School in 1989, Mr. Steck went as well, until his return as principal in 1993. Mr. Steck remained principal of MGV until his retirement in 2004.
Marion. G. Vedder Elementary School has just celebrated its 75th year as a North Babylon School. We are so proud of our history. It has been said that an anniversary is a time to remember the past, celebrate the present and hope for the future. It has been our intent to do just that.